Cupcakes are just so much fun to make, you can do pretty much anything with them 🙂
I love the look of using Flakes on cakes and cupcakes. Whether it’s crushed or sprinkled or just cut up. For the second instalment to my Candy Chocolate recipes, I used banana milk in these cupcakes and topped them with a delicious and creamy frosting. Any flavour of milk can be used, chocolate or strawberry, or just regular milk or buttermilk.
My family and facebook friends loved the way the Flakes look on these and the recipe is super simple to make. The batter is simple, buttery and moist and the frosting is made to your own personal taste. You could also add some cocoa powder into it to make a sort of milk chocolate topping!
Flake Milkshake Cupcakes
Recipe makes 12 – 14 cupcakes according to size of cupcake cups or 1 round or square 8 or 9 cake
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) softened butter
- 2/3 cup (130 gms) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mls) flavoured milk, banana, chocolate, strawberry (buttermilk or plain milk can be used)
- Flakes chocolate, crushed or chopped
Frosting (Recipe can be doubled)
- 5 tablespoons salted butter (60 gms)*
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from a vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (90 mls) whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In mixing bowl, whisk butter for about a minute until creamy. Gradually add in the sugar, while whisking on low speed, until all the sugar has been added. Turn whisk on high and cream mixture for 4 – 5 minutes until paled and fluffy.
- Crack in eggs one at a time whisking well between each addition. Whisk in oil and vanilla.
- Whisk in the dry mix and flavoured milk in alternating batches starting and ending with the flour mix. I recommend doing this by hand to avoid over mixing.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake for about 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Cool on wire rack and frost.
For the frosting
- Cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy. Whisk in vanilla then slowly pour in the cream while whisking.
- Once cream has been added, whisk on high until fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes and top with Flakes.
*Unsalted butter can be used if you like a sweeter icing.