Pizza dough is one of the most versatile dough recipes that someone can have. There are so many things that can be done with it, sweet or savoury, breads and rolls and what’s great is how simple a basic pizza dough recipe can be 🙂
You can literally do anything with your favourite pizza dough, I mean check out this cheesy goodness! 😉
I’ve previously shared my favourite pizza dough recipe and it’s since been one of my most popular recipes! 🙂
It’s no surprise because this recipe is so simple and can be made quickly when needed.
I used it to make these two cheese strombolis 😉 I love me some stromboli! Actually I love anything that is pizza related 🙂 🙂 as do all members of my family so pizza is always a plus around here ❤
To make these strombolis, prepare your pizza dough and divide into two. Roll each into a long rectangle. Spread sauce onto one side of the rectangle leaving a small border on the edge (picture below). Top with your favourite toppings and cheeses 😉
Take the side that has nothing on it and fold it on top of the sauce and cheese, forming a log and tucking the flap slightly under that small border you left. Try to fold it over the sauce and cheese quite tightly so everything stays secure inside.
Cut small slits across the top of the log using a sharp knife.
Repeat these steps with the second dough ball 🙂
Brush tops with herb butter and bake. Prepare for the most amazing smell to come out of your kitchen! 🙂
Two Cheese Stromboli
Basic Pizza Dough Recipe
(Click here for step by step pictures)
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cup (375mls) warm water
- 3 tablepoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups (400 – 500gms) all purpose flour
Any of your favourite pizza toppings, mushrooms, pepperoni, peppers etc
Mozzarella, chedder, parmesan or you choice of cheeses
- Add the yeast to 1/4 cup warm water and rest for a few minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Add in the rest of the water and oil. Whisk the salt and flour together and add to the liquids in small amounts until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- Knead for about 10 minutes, cover with plastic wrap and rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough, divide into 2 and roll each out into a short rectangle. Spread with sauces only on one side of the rectangle and top with anything you like. Fold empty dough over filling and seal by tucking under. Cut slits across tops and brush with melted herb butter and parsley.
- Dough makes 2 to 3 strombolis. Bake at 220C degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.