Spring time 🌹🌼🌻 I love spring, all the beautiful flowers, gorgeous sunshine and cool but warm weather that you know just means that summer is on it’s way. Lovely longer days, lot’s of sunshine and berries of course!
I love fresh berries. Whenever my family and I used to take a trip back to Vienna, we always went during our summer holidays, we spent most of our time outdoors. A couple of blocks outside our house there is a subway station. At this station was a family who used to grow their own berries, everything from raspberries to blueberries, cranberries and blackberries too! and they used to come up here to the train station every year during the summer days and sell them. Man were they good berries! You could taste how fresh and ripe they were and whenever I see a stand full of berries, this memory of these days always flickers back to my mind.
Warm days also means cold drinks, fresh fruit and lemonade. My favourite was always pink lemonade and I’m super stoked that I came up with the idea to turn this flavour into a muffin AND make it delicious!
These muffins are just that. Perfectly spiked with lemon and strawberry, you can use any berry here, and the texture is just melt in your mouth deliciousness. So soft and tender, moist and fluffy too. Definitely one of my favourite muffins 😄
I used lemon zest to flavour these but you can also add some lemon juice too for double lemon-ness. I used fresh strawberry puree for these and bound it all together with some buttermilk. Oil is used here to up the moisture and although we do have acidic components in this recipe, I love both the flavour and texture of these muffins using only baking powder.
I thought about leaving these muffins without a frosting which can be done, and I ate two that way, but I had some strawberries left over and who am I to say no to frosting! and a cream cheese frosting at that 😂
I finished the muffins off with a soft drizzle of strawberry cream cheese glaze which was so delicious my family actually stopped between bites to comment on how tasty it is.
A lovely blend of summery flavours to welcome the beautiful warm weather and freshen up your days 💛
Pink Lemonade Muffins
3 cups (375gms) flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (200gms) sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
2/3 cups (160mls) oil
1/2 cup (125mls) strawberry puree*
1/2 cup (125mls) buttermilk**
- For the glaze
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 cup (125gms) icing sugar
2 – 4 tablespoons strawberry puree
Pinch of salt
Optional: lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease and flour a muffin tray or line with cupcake cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate large bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest and rub together until all the sugar is coated and zest has been well incorporated.
- Add in the eggs and oil. Mix well. Add in the strawberry puree and whisk until well blended.
- Add in half of the flour mix then the buttermilk then the rest of the flour mix and whisk only until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter between muffin tray filling each hole all the way to the top. Bake for about 8 minutes then lower heat to 180C and bake for 15 minutes until cooked through. Don’t over bake. Remove muffins from muffin tray onto wire rack and cool slightly before frosting.
- For the frosting
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Add some cream if needed to thin the glaze to reach desired consistency. Pour over muffins and serve.
- *To make strawberry puree, blitz some chopped strawberries in a food processor or if you don’t have a food processor then mash up some strawberries as best as you can with a fork for this recipe.
- ** To make your own buttermilk, measure 1/2 cup (125mls) in a cup. Remove 1 1/2 teaspoons milk and replace with 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar. Stand for 5 minutes while you prepare the batter and use as stated in the recipe.