Hey everyone, how are you all doing 😊 summer is finally here, well almost here in most places, and I hope everyone is enjoying themselves with family and friends 😊
I love berries in the summer. Last year I shared this wonderfully light and airy strawberries and cream cake, and today I just had to share with ya’ll my all time favourite strawberry cupcake recipe 🙂
This is my fav. I made them once years ago and never looked back! I never tried another recipe after making this one because it’s just perfect. Soft and fluffy, creamy and super strawberry-delish 😄
I searched high and low for the best strawberry cupcake and it actually took me a while. A few batches later and I found this one. Haven’t looked back since 😊
This is the recipe I use for events or whenever I need to make/give away strawberry cupcakes. They’re such a crowd pleasure 😍
It’s a very simple recipe using basic ingredients. The cupcakes themselves are wonderfully soft and fluffy with a lovely strawberry flavour infused throughout.
For the frosting, I used my trusty ultimate buttercream frosting and added fresh pureed strawberries that have been cooked down to thicken, remove the water and concentrate the flavour. I love making strawberry buttercream like this but you can also use freeze dried strawberries if they’re easily accessible to you. Just grind them up in a food processor and add to the frosting. It all works, as long as you get strawberries into the frosting, you’re good to go!
And of course, no strawberry cupcake is complete without some fresh strawberries on top, or underneath the frosting 🙂
Enjoy my friends! and don’t forget to tag me @dutchbakerblog or hashtag #dutchbakerblog on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram so I can see your dutch baker bakes 💜
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
Makes 12 – 14 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (100gms) softened butter
- 3/4 cup (150gms) sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (65mls) milk or buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80mls) strawberry puree*
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100gms) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons strawberry puree*
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line a 12 muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and egg whites one at a time whisking well after each addition.
- Add in the dry mix alternating with the milk, strawberry puree and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake for 15 – 18 minutes until cooked through. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- Whish butter on high for about 5 minutes until very light in colour and creamy (see here for reference).
- Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, whisking for about a minute after each addition. Add in puree according to taste adding more or less than 2 tablespoons. Add in vanilla.
Frost cooled cupcakes and top with fresh strawberries.
* Place some fresh strawberries, about 1 heaping cup, into a food processor/blender and pulse until you have a fine puree. You can pass this through a sieve if desired. Cook over medium heat until it has reduced, releasing most of it’s water content. You should end up with about 4 – 5 tablespoons depending on how much you pureed. Just make sure whatever amount you used, it has reduced until at least half that amount.