This is my flavour combination of the summer 😉 maybe even the whole year!
I had never tasted a chocolate and raspberry cake or cupcake before so when I made these I didn’t know what I was going to think.
Boy did I fall head over heels in love. It was truly love at first bite for me.
I knew I wasn’t going to have any issues making the actual cupcakes since I already had my base recipes down. I used my favourite classic chocolate cupcake recipe and adapted my go-to buttercream to make raspberry buttercream. I used fresh raspberries, I mean why not when they’re in season and so utterly bright and delicious!
My chocolate cupcake base, well…. pictures speak louder than words.
Just look at that crumb. Buttery, moist and tender with a deep and rich chocolate flavour. Paired with the sweet raspberry frosting, oh my gosh it was a match made in heaven!
I actually used some frozen cupcakes to make these here. I had made an extra batch, wrapped well, stored in an air tight container and popped into the freezer. I took them out and let em thaw in the fridge before frosting. The end result was incredible with an undeniable moist crumb bursting with flavour! It truly was one of the best cupcakes I have ever eaten.
If you guys are ever in need of impressing some guests or just want to make something that will make you feel good, then make these cupcakes! I swear you’ll be in for a pleasant treat.
Don’t forget to tag me with these and all your dutch baker bakes that you make @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter ❤
This recipe uses the reverse creaming method. Once you’ve whisked all the dry ingredients and sugar, add in the butter and whisk.
Once the mixture resembles coarse sand (picture below) stop whisking, add the eggs and continue with the recipe.
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
14 – 15Cupcakes
3/4 cup (90gms) minus 1 tablespoon flour*
1 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (48gms) cocoa powder
1/2 cup (100gms) white sugar
1/4 cup (50gms) soft brown sugar
1/2 cup (100gms) softened butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (125gms) sour cream**
- For the frosting
1/2 cup (100gms) salted butter
1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons raspberry puree
1 – 2 tablespoons cream, if needed
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cornstarch and cocoa powder until well combined. Add in the sugar and whisk well.
- Add in the chopped butter and whisk until all the flour is moistened and mixture resembles coarse sand.
Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking between each addition. Batter will be stiff and crumbly which is okay, just keep mixing. Once the eggs are added, turn mixer onto medium high and whisk for about a minute to build the cakes structure and batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla and whisk for another 30 – 40 seconds until everything is well incorporated. Batter will be thick but smooth and creamy.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups, filling no more than two thirds full max as they rise alot, and bake for 15 – 17 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. I like to cool cupcakes on a wire rack for about 15 minutes then place in an air tight container until cooled completely.
- For the frosting
- Whisk butter on high speed until very creamy and pale in colour, about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add in icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time whisking for about a minute between each addition.
Add in the raspberry puree and whisk. Add in cream and vanilla to taste and whip buttercream for another 30 – 40 seconds until fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and top with fresh raspberries.
- *Measure 3/4 cup flour and remove 1 tablespoon. Replace with 1 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour and whisk well. Use as stated in the recipe.
- **Sour cream can be substituted with thick Greek yoghurt if you can’t find it.
- Recipe by the dutch baker.
Raspberries. There are no words. 😍
I know right! 😊❤
Thank you! 😊
I so want to bake these but my oven is playing up, and I don’t want to spoil them . But they really look so more-ish and divine, and yummy 🙂 Have a great weekend my friend. x
They are very special 😉 and oh so delicious! Hope your oven gets sorted 😯 I freaked when I couldn’t use mine 😳 God bless hun xx
These cupcakes look amazingly delicious, love the mix of chocolate and raspberries!
Thank you! Its a wonderful combination 😄
Going through your blog is such a treat for my sweet tooth!!😁
Aw thanks! 😊 that’s so sweet of you 💙
You’re welcome ♥️
I love the chocolate and raspberry combination! I am always looking for a good cupcake recipe, I am so excited to try this. Thanks!
Thank you! It really is an amazing combo right! 😉😍