I love peaches!! 😃 I really need to express my love for peaches especially since they’re basically the only fruit, other than bananas, that I love to bake with!
These rolls right here are the bake of the year, I mean we have a sweet, super delicious brown sugar filling that’s spiked with fresh peaches, wrapped in a buttery and soft roll, topped with buttery sugary crumbs and a drizzle of vanilla cream glaze, what is there not to love!? Seriously it’s like the greatest gift of all 😊
I got the idea to make these from my ridiculously delicious and family favourite peach crumb muffins and it took me a while to actually get this cinnamon roll version done but I’m soo glad that I finally did because these cinnamon rolls are beyond incredible!
The base is my super easy one rise cinnamon rolls which I’m sure many of you are already familiar with. I just adapted them to incorporate the peaches and crumb topping.
The crumbs are made on the stove by just lightly toasting some melted butter, sugar and flour and then this gets sprinkled on top of the ready baked rolls. I had so many different ideas to try and get this part of the rolls to work and this way is the easiest and the crumb and rolls turn out great 😊 you can toast the crumb mixture under the broiler on some baking paper before baking the rolls instead if you like.
Lastly, I drizzled the tops of the rolls with a dreamy creamy glaze that is juuuust what these babies need to totally knock your socks off! I actually added some extra glaze after taking these pictures because we like our cinnamon rolls extra saucy 👌
I honestly canNOT wait to make these again becuase they are ohh so good and definitely worth the effort!
Enjoy peeps! And tag me with your pics @dutchbakerblog 💙
Peach Crumb Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 12 rolls.
- 1/4 cup (60mls) warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (90mls) milk
- 3 tablespoons (35gms) butter
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups (250 – 300gms) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup finely diced peaches*
For the crumb topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (125gms) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- In a large bowl, add the warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Leave to sit for a few minutes until mixture is thick and foamy.
- Whisk together 2 cups of flour and salt. Set aside.To the yeast/water mix add in the rest of the sugar, milk and egg. Whisk well and stir in the butter. Mixture will be lumpy with pieces of butter.
- Add in half of the flour mix and whisk fast until dough is smooth. Switch to a wooden spoon (or dough hook if using a mixer) and add in the rest of the flour. Stir until a dough forms, adding more flour a tablespoon at a time if dough is too wet.
- Turn out dough on a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth, soft and slightly wet. More flour can be added by try not to add to much so the rolls stay soft.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and rest for 10 to 15 minutes.Whisk together the ingredients for the filling, not including butter. Turn on the oven to the lowest temperature.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, remove dough from bowl and roll out into a 12 x 8 rectangle. Try to roll the rectangle with even thickness all across the dough.
- Spread the softened butter all across the dough. Sprinkle the filling on top then scatter the peaches across the dough. Starting from the longer side, roll dough into a tight log. Score 12 equal slits onto the top, about 1 inch apart. Cut the dough into 12 pieces using a sharp serrated knife. Place each roll onto a floured 9 inch square baking tray. Cover and place into the warm oven. Close oven door and turn off the heat leaving the rolls inside to rise for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Once the rolls have risen, remove the rolls from the oven and preheat oven to 180C. Bake the rolls for 10 – 15 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Broil tops is desired.
- As soon as the rolls are out of the oven, sprinkle all of the crumbs on top of the rolls then glaze the tops with the frosting. Serve warm.
To make the crumb topping
- Whisk together the sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Melt the butter and pour it on top of the sugar mix and stir until mixture is in clumps and crumbly.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium low heat and, using a wooden spoon, lightly cook the mixture and toasted and slightly golden in colour. Set aside to cool until rolls are done.
For the frosting
- Whisk together the ingredients for the glaze adding enough cream until desired consistency is reached. Pour over warm crumb topped rolls.
*Fresh or canned peaches may be used just make sure to finely dice them and if using canned peaches make sure to drain and lightly dry them with a kitchen paper towel.
Recipe by the dutch baker.