An oil based super simple vanilla cake using kitchen staple ingredients. This cake is soft, moist, supremely soft & fluffy and can be made with just a bowl and whisk!
Calling all cake lovers. Today’s recipe is one of the best! A simple and flavourful oil-based vanilla cake that uses basic kitchen staple ingredients and is failproof. This is one of the first recipes that I shared on my Facebook page. It was and still is one of the most popular recipes. So many of you have made it, both as cakes and cupcakes, and given rave reviews.
I’ve been making this vanilla cake for years. It’s one of the first recipes I learned how to make and I still use it when I have a sudden vanilla cake craving. Top it with literally any frosting and you have yourself a delicious treat.
The cake is so easy to make, requiring minimal, basic ingredients and is so insanely light and soft. More times that not, I find myself missing ingredients that a moist and fluffy cake requires like butter or sour cream. This recipe is a life saver because it can be made with the simplest ingredients. You don’t even need a stand mixer or a hand mixer as the batter can be made using a regular whisk. The result is just as delicious.
How to make an easy vanilla cake
- Beat eggs & sugar until fluffy: this is a trick I use to lighten the batter and give the cake a fluffy crumb. You only need to whisk them together for a minute or so but it makes a difference.
- Oil: Although we’re using oil, you can substitute half of the amount with melted butter. The flavour and texture of the crumb will be slightly different.
- Baking powder: needed for a nice lift for the cake. Since we’re not using any acids like sour cream, we only need baking powder to react with the rest of the ingredients.
- Large eggs: make sure you’re using good quality large sized eggs.
- Vanilla extract: you can add other flavours to the batter such as lemon or orange zest but don’t leave out the vanilla. Add a good amount as that’s the star flavour.
- Whole milk: since we’re not using other fats like butter or sour cream, the cake really needs whole milk to ensure moisture and structure. You can use yoghurt or buttermilk in the place of milk but the texture may be slightly more dense.
Another thing to love about this cake recipe is that it can be frosted and topped with anything. It’s so practical and delicious, you can pair it with any flavour frosting like strawberry, peanut butter, caramel etc. For an all vanilla cake, I like it best with my favourite vanilla frosting. It doesn’t have to be a fluffy frosting, you can top with just glazes and icings, top with nuts or cake crumbs.
Tips for success
- Use good quality ingredients. There’s not many ingredients going into this cake so you really need to make sure that each ingredient used is fresh.
- Use room temperature ingredients. This makes a difference in mixing the batter as the ingredients will emulsify better. This is essential for the eggs because room temperature eggs will mix best with the sugar becoming nice and fluffy.
- Fresh ingredients always. Again, there’s not many ingredients in this cake so the flavour will shine through according to the ingredients used. Fresh eggs, baking powder and milk are a must.
This is a very simple recipe so there is plenty of room to play around. Adapt the recipe to your liking and have fun creating different flavours and textures.
- Oil: you can use butter instead. Experiment using melted butter or softened butter and creaming it with the sugar.
- Sugar: substitute some of the white sugar with soft brown sugar. Add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda if you plan to use brown sugar.
- Whole eggs: have fun switching a whole egg with egg yolks or egg whites for a variation in the crumb.
- Milk: replace the milk with sour cream, buttermilk or Greek yoghurt. Alternatively you can use some citrus in place of some of the milk such as orange juice. Remember to add some baking soda if you use any of these substitutions as it will be needed to react with the acids.
Have and fun enjoy!
If you make this or any of my other recipes, tag me @dutchbakerblog or hashtag #dutchbakerblog on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook so I can see your dutchbaker bakes 💙
Supremely Soft And Fluffy Vanilla Cake
8 – 12servings
This recipe yields enough batter for a layered 8 or 9 inch layer cake, 24 cupcakes or a 9 x 13 inch cake. Recipe can be easily halved.
3 cups (375gms) all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (250mls) oil
1 1/2 cups (300gms) sugar
4 Large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (250mls) whole milk
- Top with vanilla frosting
- Grease and flour or line with baking paper two 9 inch cake tins. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt until combined. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and sugar. Whisk for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on medium speed until the mix has slightly thickened and lightened in colour. Whisk in the oil.
- Add the flour mix and milk to the eggs/sugar mix in alternating batches, starting and ending with flour mix. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and bake at for about 25 – 28 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Do not over bake. Cool completely in an airtight container before frosting.
- If you are using a smaller size cake tin such as three 8 inch, start checking for doneness at around 18 – 19 minutes.
LOVE a tried and true cake recipe. I’m trying this one next time! Thank you! 🙂
Hi Josette 🙂 thank you so much for your sweet comment 🙂 this is probably the most recipe that has been tried and loved since I first shared it back in 2014! Im happy to say that people have also made it since re-sharing it here and have given great reviews which is great since it continues to show how failproof and delicious it is! 🙂 God bless xx
Yes… So this is 2018 and I was looking for a simple cake recipe for a surprise birthday cake for my cousin and I stumbled upon your recipe and I must confess it was an absolute blessing. I normally don’t leave comments but I had to come back to drop one. The cake came out so soft and fluffy and absolutely delicious. Thank you!
Hii! I am so happy to hear you loved this cake! thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment, I really appreciate it and thanks again for trying out this recipe! 🙂 God bless xx
Looks so fluffy, soft, and amazing 😍😍🔥
Thank you! ❤️
Your cakes always remind me of my mothers baking, Linda…I do love how you give flavour /fat alternatives 🙂
Oh my gosh that’s such a wonderful compliment, thank you! 🥺😍
You are welcome , Linda 😘
White cake is my absolute favorite! This looks like a keeper, thank you.
You’re very welcome. Thanks for your lovely comment 🌻
my hubby loves vanilla cake so this would be perfect for him.
Thank you Sherry 🌻