Every now and then we just have to take a break from all the indulgent baking and bring out the healthy snacks. As anyone who follows me, y’all know how much I love my breads 😉 freshly baked homemade bread, I mean there’s nothing better! 😍😍
I don’t think there are many things that smell better than the smell of bread baking in the oven. These bread loaves are super delicious! So soft and fluffy, I’ve added in some whole wheat flour for both flavour and texture and even threw in some ground flax seeds for good measure! You can add any sort of seeds and nuts into the dough. It’s very easy to do and the results are fabulous. 🙂
This is a really basic bread loaf recipe. It can be made as one large loaf or as many small bread buns. Definitely a keeper in my book 😋
Mixed Flour Bread Loaves
Makes 6 mini loaves
- 1 cup (250mls) warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup (125gms) whole wheat flour*
- 2 cups (250gms) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 2 tablespoons ground or whole flax seeds, your choice of nuts or seeds
- Add water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Let sit until bubbly. Add in oil.
- Whisk salt and flours together and add to liquids until a soft dough forms. Knead until the dough is soft, smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes using a dough hook on a mixer or 10 minutes by hand.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and rise for 2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide into 6 or more balls. Shape each piece into a long log and place on a baking tray. Brush tops with milk and cover. Rise again for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Bake for about 15 minutes or until bottom of bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with a finger.
- Broil tops if a more golden brown colour is desired.
Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap to allow space to rise but making sure its completely sealed in.
Let dough rise in a warm area such as next to a hot oven.
Preheat oven to 220C and lower to 200C when dough is put in.
*Less or more whole wheat flour can be used, just mix about 3 cups of flour all together.