Lemony bliss on my blog today 😄🍋 one of the most popular classics has finally made an appearance here and in the brightest way possible!
I don’t know why it’s taken me soooo long to post a lemon cupcake recipe. I’ve already shared this lemon cake which is to die for and one of the best lemon cakes I’ve ever eaten but there was always that void for cupcakes! There’s always room for more and more is definitely needed when it is the softest, fluffiest, super moist and creamy sunshine lemon cupcake bursting with bright flavours and dreamy textures.
I’m telling you, this cupcake is by far the best lemon cupcake I’ve ever had the luxury of eating! 😄
It took me a while to figure out and achieve this recipe because I just couldn’t make a lemon cupcake that I liked enough to make it my ultimate go to. I never thought it could possibly be so hard, I mean just add some lemon to any vanilla cupcake recipe right, but no I needed something more!
These cupcakes are verrryy similar to that lemon cake I referred to earlier, in fact it’s the same ingredients and the same concept but I took the recipe even further by making it even more fluffier. Like so fluffy and creamy, it truly is a dream!
These cupcakes are super easy to make. I use the standard creaming method here as opposed to the reversed creaming method like in the cake. Doing this gives the cupcakes that extra puffy fluffiness that is oh so delicious!
Sour cream and milk are used, sour cream is a must because it makes the texture of the cupcakes sooo moist and creamy, I love it! If you guys don’t have sour cream then regular yoghurt is fine too 🙂
Seriously would you just look at this crumb! 😀 I’ve never had anything like it!
I topped these cupcakes with vanilla frosting because I love the whole lemon vanilla combo but they are just as perfect with lemon buttercream, any berry frosting like this one or this one and even cream cheese frosting. Whatever the topping you desire, this base is amazing!
I honestly can’t believe how perfectly beautiful this cupcake is and I am so excited to share this recipe for you guys to try!
Happy baking! Tag me with your pictures @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter 💙
Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) minus 2 tablespoon flour*
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups (150gms) sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup (100gms) softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60gms) sour cream**
- 1/2 cup (125mls) milk
- Optional:1 – 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Vanilla frosting (I used about a third of this recipe) add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to make lemon frosting if desired.
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Grease and flour cake tins. In a small bowl, add sugar and lemon zest then using your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar until all the sugar has moistened and is fragrant.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk butter until creamy then add in the lemon sugar and whisk until paled in colour and creamy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the egg and vanilla, whisk to combine then add in the sour cream.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk if using, and add the milk to the batter in alternating batches with the dry mix starting and ending with the dry mix. Take care not to over mix the batter. It will be slightly thick.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake for 15 – 17 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Move onto a wire rack. I like to cool on the rack for about 10 minutes then place in an airtight container to cool completely before frosting.
*Measure 1 1/2 cups flour then remove 2 tablespoon and replace with 2 tablespoon cornflour/cornstarch. Whisk well then use as stated.
**Sour cream can be substituted with yoghurt if needed.
Recipe by the dutch baker.