I wish I hadn’t made these cupcakes… I wish I didn’t know what I was missing whenever I ate other chocolate cupcakes…I really wish that my ignorance to the world of double chocolatey-ness was still enough to satisfy my cravings but all of this is no longer true because I can never ever EVER go back. Once you’ve crossed over into the dark side, there is no returning.. and I am deep deep in the dark side!
I can never eat another chocolate cupcake! 😉
This cupcake is the chocolate cupcake I didn’t even know I was dreaming about. I mean I know I like my chocolate cakes denser, richer, deeper and ultra decadent. These cupcakes are that and so much more! they’re everything I could ever imagine I could need. A triple chocolate cupcake base topped with a double chocolate cream cheese frosting makes these quintuple chocolate cuppies push the envelope of decadence all the way to the edge. You’d think that you don’t really need all of this to make the ultimate chocolate cupcake of your dreams but trust me, you do! 😀
I apologize for the lack of good photos but I just had to have these bad boys published as soon as I could!
These guys are made using my favourite obsession: my delicious dark chocolate cupcakes. I added in a handful of milk chocolate chips to the batter and the balance of flavours is out of this world. To make these cupcakes deep in flavour without being too dark I used 50% good quality dark chocolate. As for the cocoa I always use a good quality fine dark unsweetened cocoa powder which obviously is super important since chocolate is the main flavour here.
This recipe calls for sour cream which I think is crucial to achieve that tender, melt in your mouth texture. You can use plain yoghurt if you don’t have sour cream but whatever you do just make these!
The most important step for making these cupcakes actually comes after they are baked. Let them cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes then place them in an airtight container to cool completely. Something magical happens when you do this giving these cupcakes a wrapper-slides-right-off moist, stick-to-your-fork fudgy , super saucy and delicious crumb texture. I never make these guys without doing this step so please don’t skip it!
The frosting is by far the most incredible chocolate frosting I’ve ever eaten! It’s a double chocolate chocolate cream cheese fudge frosting and I adore it! It’s a basic cream cheese frosting base with a thick chocolate paste added to it which is just cocoa powder and hot water. Then it’s finished off with some melted dark chocolate to give that ultra decadent chocolateyness to it. This is a frosting that MUST be made! <3
Seriously, if I had to pick one dessert to eat for the rest of my life it would without a doubt be these cupcakes 😉 make them! and tag me @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter <3
Insanely Sinful Death By Chocolate Cupcakes
14 – 15Cupcakes
1/2 cup (100gms) butter
2 oz/56gms dark or semi sweet baking chocolate, anywhere between 50% to 100%
3/4 cup (90gms) minus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour*
1 tablespoon corn flour/cornstarch
1/2 cup (48gms) cocoa powder**
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (100gms) white sugar
1/4 cup (50gms) light or dark soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (125mls) sour cream***
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- For the frosting
6 tablespoons (75gms) softened butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 to 2 tablespoons hot water
2 oz (56gms) melted dark chocolate, I used 50%
- Preheat oven to160C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a heat proof bowl over simmering water (or in a microwave) melt the butter and chocolate together and whisk smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda and salt until well combined. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugars until combined. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and whisk smooth.
- Using a spatula or spoon add in the half of the flour mix then the sour cream then the remaining flour mix whisking everything slowly only until *just* combined. I recommend doing this by hand to avoid over mixing. Batter will be very thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. Divide batter between cupcake cups filling each only 2/3 full.
Bake cupcakes for 15 – 17 minutes or until cooked through and a knife or toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Make sure not to over bake these cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack for about 10 minutes then put them in an airtight container to continue cooling all the way. This traps in the moisture making the cupcakes extra moist and fudgy. Don’t skip this last step.
- For the frosting
- Whisk together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add in icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time while beating.
- In a small bowl stir together the cocoa powder and hot water to form a thick paste. Add this to the frosting and finally whisk in the melted chocolate. Frosting can be chilled in the fridge to thicken before using.
- *Measure the stated amount of 3/4 cups of flour then take away 1 tablespoon of this flour. Whisk in the 1 tablespoon of corn flour in it’s place. This is done to ensure that the cupcakes have a perfect structure as well as soft and fluffy textures.
- **It’s best to use a good quality cocoa powder here so splurge a bit if you can. It really makes a difference.
- ***Sour cream can be replaced with yoghurt but the texture may vary slightly.
- Frosting adapted from I Am Baker.
Thank you!! <3
Hahaha you are hilarious! These look amazing!
Thank you SO much Diane! 🙂