A super easy, no mixer required cake that is loaded with spice, nuts and Biscoff. Topped with a luscious brown butter cream cheese frosting, this is truly the cake of Fall.
I would just like to take a moment to introduce to everyone the cake that holds the 2nd spot in my Top 3 Cakes of All Time list 😀 It is one that is beyond my wildest dreams and everyone who has been lucky enough to taste it feels the same way <3
This Autumn spice cake has everything and I mean EVERYTHING! you guys… bursting with flavour; spice, nuts, butter; stick to your fork moist, fluffier than the softest clouds, creamier than silk and more decadent than the richest chocolate cake you know.
I’m not even going to get in to this, the cake is totally in your face perfect it doesn’t need any kind of explanations or pointers. You literally dump everything into two bowls, one for the dry; one for the liquids, stir and bake it.
I made this an oil based cake because I wanted to have that texture, my absolute favourite cake texture that is velvety yet fluffy. I put so much flavour into the actual cake so there was no worry about losing that buttery goodness.
This also paved the way for me to focus all of my buttery attention into the frosting and oh man the frosting! two words people; brown butter!
And……………….cream cheese. Brown butter cream cheese frosting you guys! and that’s not all! I took it a step further and tossed in some crushed Biscoff biscuits, first folded into the frosting itself and then scattered all over the top.
This is a thing of impossible dreams.
- Spices: I used mostly cinnamon and ginger but the addition of nutmeg and cloves are delicious too.
- Soft brown sugar: please do not leave this out. Brown sugar is a key ingredient to this cake, probably the most important one! 😉
- Applesauce: you can use either homemade or store bought just make sure to use it. It adds so much texture to the cake, I love it!
- Apples: just 1 cup, this is NOT an apple cake and you can’t even taste the addition of this small amount of apples; it merely gives you a ‘mmmm what is that!?’ flavour going on in the cake 😀
- Walnuts: this may not seem like a must have but it totally seals the deal of this cake. Just a small amount but makes a world of a difference so please do include.
And finally, no matter what, do not leave out the Biscoff crumbs. Even if you don’t have crumbs but have the spread, add in a couple of tablespoons of that but just make sure it is in because the spice flavour from it is undeniable!
Can ya’ll believe this crumb!? 😀
Make this Autumn spice cake!
And tag me @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter <3
Other favourite spice cakes: