Calling all cake lovers 😉 Im sharing with you all one of the best, failproof vanilla cake recipes ever! This is one of the first recipes that I posted on my Facebook page, it was and still is one of the most popular recipes that I’ve shared! So many of you have made it, both as cakes and cupcakes, and given rave reviews.
I have been making this vanilla cake for years. It was one of the first recipes I learned to perfect and I still use it now when I have a sudden vanilla cake craving.
A simple and flavourful oil-based vanilla cake that uses basic kitchen staple ingredients and is basically failproof.
The cake is so easy to make, requiring minimal, basic ingredients and is so insanely light and soft it’s unbelievable! I used this as my go to vanilla recipe because it calls for everything that I always have ready, on hand in my kitchen and can be made, frosted and eaten really fast.
More times that not I find myself missing ingredients that cakes call for like butter or sour cream. This cake was always a life saver because it can be made with the simplest ingredients and they can be substituted when needed, like using only oil if you find yourself out of butter. The cake itself doesn’t need a stand mixer or even a hand mixer as I’ve made the batter using a regular whisk many times and the result is just as delicious.
Another thing I love about this cake is that it can be frosted and topped with ANYTHING! It’s so practical and delicious, you can pair it with any flavour frosting like strawberry, peanut butter, caramel etc. For an all vanilla cake, I like it best with my favourite vanilla frosting. It doesn’t have to be a fluffy frosting, you can top with just glazes and icings, top with nuts or cake crumbs.
Tag me @dutchbakerblog or hashtag #dutchbakerblog on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook so I can see your dutchbaker bakes 💙
Supremely Soft And Fluffy Vanilla Cake
8 – 12servings
This recipe yields enough batter for a layered 8 or 9 inch cake, 24 cupcakes or a 9 x 13 inch cake. Recipe can be easily halved.
3 cups all purpose flour (375 gms)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (250 mls) oil (1/2 cup melted butter (100 gms) can be used in place of 1/2 cup (125mls) oil)
1 1/2 cups (300 gms) sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk (250 mls)
- Top with vanilla frosting
- Grease and flour 2 or 3 round 9 inch cake tins.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt until combined. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and sugar. Whisk for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes using an electric whisk, until it has slightly thickened and lightened in colour. Whisk in the melted butter and oil.
- Add the flour mix and milk to the eggs/butter mix in alternating batches, starting and ending with flour mix. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and bake at 170C for about 28 – 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Do not over bake. Cool completely in an airtight container before frosting.