Good morning, afternoon, evening or night, depending where you are. I hope you guys are keeping yourselves warm, not letting the cold weather get the best of you ☁❄
I have a lovely treat for you today: warm, soft, beautifully sweetened, extra fluffy honey butter rolls that are just waiting impatiently to be made and devoured!
I love honey. I love butter even more and the combination of both are a dreamy match made in heaven.
These rolls are super easy to make. It’s pretty much just your basic milk bread recipe, lightly sweetened with honey and drenched with a delicious honey butter mix that’ll make you swoon before you’ve even teared off and bitten into that first piece.
The rolls need to be left to rise properly so they get nice and puffy, I like to do this overnight in the fridge. This allows breads to rise slowly and brings out extra flavour to the finished bread.
Once they’re baked and golden, spread the honey butter generously all over the tops so that it melts into the buns and all the little cracks in between. Wait for then to cool slightly, I know it’s hard, and dig in.
Oh so good! 🙂
Honey Butter Rolls
1 cup (250mls) warm milk*
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup (60mls) honey
1/4 cup (50gms) butter, cut into pieces
3 1/2 – 4 cups (450 – 560gms) flour
1 teaspoon salt
- Honey Butter
1/4 cup (50gms) butter
2 – 3 tablespoons honey, to taste
- In a large bowl, add milk and yeast together and set aside until it becomes foamy and bubbly.
- Stir together the flour and salt, set aside. To the milk/yeast mix, add the egg, honey and butter and whisk until well combined.
- Add in about half of the flour mix and whisk fast for about 20 – 30 seconds until mixture is smooth. Using the dough hook of your mixer or a wooden spoon, add in the rest of the flour in small increments until a smooth and soft dough forms that not very sticky. Dough should be soft so try not to add too much flour. Knead for about 8 – 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and rise for about 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Once doubled, punch down and divide dough into 15 small balls. Place balls in a lightly floured 9 x 13 inch baking tin and cover again to rise until puffy, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C and bake rolls for 18 – 20 minutes until they are cooked and golden on the sides and tops.
As soon as the rolls are out of the oven, brush a generous amount of honey butter all over the tops. Allow to cool and serve with any remaining honey butter.
- *Milk can be replaced with warm water if desired.
- Recipe by the dutch baker.