I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited to share a recipe as much as I am excited about this one 😄
This ultimately chocolate, perfectly fudgy, insanely delicious decadent chocolate fudge cake!
This cake is what I think is THE chocolate fudge cake. It has such a delicious and extra chocolate-y flavour and the texture is all fudge, having the perfect amount of bite and density that makes a fudge cake.
I’ve been tweaking and testing, playing and tasting in every way possible with this cake until I reached something truly magical. This is a cake to please. A cake to spoil. And a cake for indulging. Only pure chocoholics, there’s no other way here 😍
In this recipe, I use a mix of brown and white sugar. Brown sugar is crucial to get that chewy and moist crumb.
As for the dairy, this cake includes whole eggs for extra richness and buttermilk for that undeniable moist and slightly dense fudgy crumb texture. A whole cup of cocoa powder is used, seriously this cake is for chocolate lover’s only, and the perfect amount of buttery flavours that comes through with each bite. As anyone who has been following me knows how much I love the reverse creaming technique for my cakes so that’s what I use here. This produces such a beautiful and light cake, really it’s the only way to do it.
The ultimate lift-you-up cake that is so worth the time and ingredients to make and definitely a crowd pleaser 😊 truly a treasure ❤
The BEST Chocolate Fudge Cake I Ever Ate
9 – 12servings
Makes two 9 inch or three 8 inch cakes or one 9×13 inch cake. Recipe can be used to make 24 – 28 cupcakes.
1 1/2 cups (190gms) minus 2 tablespoons flour*
2 tablespoons cornflour/cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (96gms) cocoa powder
3/4 cup (150gms) soft brown sugar
3/4 cup (150gms) white sugar
1 cup (200gms) softened butter, cut into pieces
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (250mls) buttermilk**
- For the frosting
1/2 cup (100gms) softened butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (40gms) cocoa powder
1 3/4 – 2 cups (200 – 250gms) icing sugar
2 – 3 tablespoons thick cream***
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and 2 8 or 9 inch cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornflour, baking powder and soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add in the sugars and whisk until well combined.
- Add in the chopped butter and whisk until all the flour is moistened and mixture resembles coarse sand.
Add in the eggs one**** at a time mixing between each addition. The mixture will be very dense and crumbly but once all of the eggs are added, whisk well on medium high for 1 1/2 minutes to build the cakes structure and mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add in the buttermilk and vanilla and whisk until mixture is smooth and well combined. Batter is slightly thick.
Divide batter between cake tins and bake until cooked through, about 20 – 25 minutes. Cool in the cake tins for about 10 minutes then transfer on to a wire rack to cool. Allow cakes to cool on the rack for another 10 minutes then store in an airtight container to continue cooling completely.
- For the frosting
- Whisk butter for about 2 minutes until creamy and slightly paled. Add in cocoa powder and whisk smooth.
Add in the icing sugar and whisk well to combine. If mixture is too thick add a splash of cream to loosen. Whisk for 2 – 3 minutes until frosting is smooth.
- Add in the rest of the cream and whisk again for a minute until frosting becomes extra creamy. Add in vanilla to taste.
- Frost cooled cakes and serve. Store cake in an air tight container.
- *Measure 1 1/2 cups (190gms) then remove 2 tablespoons.
- **To make your own buttermilk, whisk 1/2 cup/125mls milk and 1/2 cup/120gms yoghurt together and use as stated.
- ***Thick cream gives the frosting a lovely creamy and slightly dense texture. Normal whipping cream can be used instead.
- ****If you are using a handheld whisk or even doing this by hand then you can add 2 eggs at a time. Just make sure to mix well after the eggs have all been added.
Okay, my jeans are officially tight !!!
This looks so yummy 🙂 If it is anything like your super moist chocolate cake, I am all in !!! 🙂
Thank you! 🙂 this cake is beyond perfection! It’s just as moist as my other chocolate cake but this one is slightly more indulging 😉 I’ll definitely be making it again soon and think of you and our enlarging bellys 😳 thanks again! God bless you xx
Yummy chocolate goodness!
Truly is! 😊😂 we’re talking chocolate mania here 😉 thank you for your sweet comment xx
Looks delicious. I’m a big chocolate fan. This would be great with coffee or milk.
Ohh yes it’s a perfect milk or coffee kind of cake! I love chocolate too but it’s taken me ages to finally find a chocolate cake recipe that really makes me literally want to eat alll the time 😉 this is my favourite and go to recipe actually, for a classic chocolate cake I use all white sugar and sour cream instead of buttermilk ohhhh 😋😋😋😍😍 thank you for your lovely comment xx
This is absolutely gorgeous!!
Thank you so much! 😊 It tastes even better 😉😉
Is there anything better than fudgy chocolate cake? This looks seriously good I want to face plant into it! Nom 🙂
Haha I know exactly what you mean by wanting to face dive into something! 😂 Fudge cake is the best! Thank you for commenting 😀
I love this! Reversed creaming? Very clever! Thanks for sharing your recipe!!
You are very welcome! 🙂 reversed creaming is my favourite way to make cakes as it brings out the best flavours and textures! 😄 thanks so much for your lovely comment xx