This is one of those frostings that is so incredible, it needs to have it’s own post! I’m not kidding, I think this is probably the best kind of chocolate frosting out there and it’s sooo perfect, it pairs well with any flavour whether it’s chocolate, vanilla, red velvet etc this frosting is to die for 🙂
I had wanted to try chocolate cream cheese frosting for so long but every time I got cream cheese, I always ended up using it for something else (cinnamon rolls 😉 )
When I did eventually get round to making this frosting, I was hooked! and I mean like a life long commitment hooked! the taste and texture is just extraordinarily incredible. So thick and luscious, decadent yet light, chocolatey but perfectly balanced, I’m telling you, this frosting is a dream 🙂
I basically took my regular and favourite cream cheese frosting and added in some cocoa powder. It’s a very simple recipe and whips up quickly. Like I usually do with my cream cheese frostings, I let it set for a while in the fridge before frosting my cakes or cupcakes. This helps make it easier to use as well as being more sturdy so I do recommend doing that whenever you’re making it 🙂
I know that once you try this frosting, you’ll be making it time and time again!
Don’t forget to tag me @dutchbakerblog or hashtag #dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook with your dutch baker bakes 💙
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes enough to frost one 8 or 9 inch layered cake or 24 – 30 cupcakes.
- 1 cup (200gms) butter (I use half salted and half unsalted)
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cup) cream cheese, brick style
- 4 cups (500gms) icing sugar
- 1/2 – 2/3 cups (48gms) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: pinch of salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and cream cheese until combined and creamy.
- Add in icing sugar one cup at a time, whisking for about 30 seconds in between each.
- Whisk in cocoa powder adding more or less according to desired tastes.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt if using. Whisk frosting for about a minute on medium speed to make it extra fluffy.
- For optimum results, place frosting in the fridge for about an hour before using.
Recipe by the dutch baker.