Big, soft, chunky and delicious oatmeal cookies, chock-full of chocolate chips and loaded with peanut butter. Swap the chocolate chips with your favourite chocolate candy bar, such as Toblerone, for a wonderful treat!
You can never have too many cookie recipes. There are so many variations and alternations you can make to a recipe to create new flavours and textures. When you start off with a solid base recipe, it is quite easy to play around with the ingredients and make something different and delicious.
I started off with two of my favourite cookie recipes as my base for these peanut butter oatmeal cookies. These soft baked peanut butter cookies and these oatmeal raisin cookies.
When I think about peanut butter oatmeal cookies, I think big and chunky. The texture should be thick and hearty. I love that you can add lots of different things to this cookie batter and know that the cookies will turn out great.
Break down of these cookies
- Creamed butter and sugar
- Peanut butter
- Whole oats
- Chocolate chips
- Hint of molasses
Why this recipe works:
- Butter: use a good quality unsalted butter that is softened to room temperature. It should not be melted, but warm enough to be creamed properly with the sugar.
- Soft brown sugar: these cookies use a mix of white and brown sugar. For the brown sugar, make sure you are using the soft kind. Either light or dark is fine, as long as its soft. It should feel like wet sand.
- Peanut butter: use a good quality commercial peanut butter brand. I’ve not tried using a natural peanut butter brand so I’m not sure it will work the same way as the cookies bake.
- Vanilla extract: the addition of vanilla extract is vital as it adds a wonderful undertone to the peanut butter flavour.
- Whole Oats: I always have whole oats as that’s what I love to eat and bake with. The cookies will also work with quick oats if that’s all you have. Keep in mind that the texture will differ slightly with quick oats.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough: I highly recommend doing this step. The flavour of the cookies enhances greatly as well as the texture.
- Baking: when it’s time to bake, roll the cookies into balls and place them a few inches apart on baking sheet. Let the cookies bake for a few minutes then take them out, bang the cookie sheet twice on the counter then rotate and return back into the oven to continue baking. Once they’re *almost* baked through, remove from oven and bang again on the counter before cooling the cookies on a wire rack. This step helps the cookies bake evenly and also releases air so the cookies aren’t too cakey and have those lovely crinkles on top.
The rest of the recipe is pretty straight forward. I have made these cookies using different kinds of chocolates and nuts. Each time they turn out delicious so feel free to experiment with the add-ins.
- Softened butter: this gives the cookies a wonderful soft and moist texture. Using softened butter yields a delectable melt-in-your-mouth cookie crumb.
- Brown Sugar: I don’t prefer using only white sugar in cookies (and chocolate cakes ). The flavour and texture that soft brown sugar gives is undeniable so it’s definitely a must.
- Molasses: I love adding this to oatmeal cookies. It enhances the cookie flavour with a delicious robust flavour that pairs beautifully with the oats and peanut butter.
These cookies are so delicious and easy to make. With simple ingredients and a straight forward recipe, I’m sure that you will LOVE these cookies as much as I do!.
If you make these peanut butter oatmeal cookies or any one of my other recipes, pls make sure to tag me @dutchbakerblog on Instagram or Facebook.
These cookies look dangerously tasty, while quite healthy at the same time. I’m saving the recipe. 🙂
Thank you! Oats in cookies are the best 🙂
Love these cookieis – I have only one dessert using whole oats but since I have been eating more of that healthy ingredient I could certainly use a cookie.that is yummy too with the chocolate and peanut butter 🙂
Oats with chocolate and peanut butter is a killer combination 🙂 thank you 💜
Yum! These cookies look so good! 🙂
Thank you Nancy! 🧡
These were so unbelievably chewy, and the flavour absolutely incredible. Everything about them we’re just PERFECT 🔥
Thank you so much! 🧡